Top Current Affairs 31 January 2021
- Every year on January 30, India pays homage to Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to mark his death anniversary. The day is also observed as Martyrs’ Day.
- 2021 marked his 73rd death anniversary.
- It was on this day in 1948, that Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi Ji was assassinated by Nathuram Godse, who was against Gandhi’s idea of partition.
India’s First ‘Gender Park’ to be inaugurated in Kozhikode, Kerala
- The state government of Kerala will launch first of its kind three-storeyed ‘Gender Park’ in Kozhikode, to promote gender equality and empowerment in the state.
- The overall cost of establishing the park is around Rs 300 crore. spread over 24 acre land.
- This new Gender Park will be inaugurated by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan during the second edition of the International Conference on Gender Equality (ICGE-II), which will be held from February 11 to 13, 2021.
- Along with the Gender Park, a Gender Museum, Gender Library, Convention Centre and an Amphitheatre will also be launched at the event.
- These facilities have been established under the Phase I of the gender park.
India ranks 10th in EIU’s Asia-Pacific Personalised Health Index
- India has been ranked 10th among 11 Asia Pacific countries in a newly-launched ”Asia-Pacific Personalised Health Index‘ by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- The index aims to measure the progress of each of the 11 countries towards adopting personalised healthcare, enabling the right care to be made available to the right person at the right time.
- The 11 nations ranked in the index are Australia, China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and New Zealand.
- Overall, Singapore has topped the index. It is followed by Taiwan (2nd), Japan (3rd) and Australia (4th).
- Indonesia was the last ranked country at 11th in the index
- The ‘Personalised Health Index’ ranks each of the country based on 27 different indicators of personalized health, with each grouped into four categories called ‘Vital Signs’. These include Policy Context, Health Information, Personalised Technologies and Health Services
R S Sharma appointed as new CEO of Ayushman Bharat Scheme
- The National Health Authority (NHA) has appointed RS Sharma as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of country’s flagship public health insurance scheme Ayushman Bharat, also called Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana.
- He would replace Indu Bhushan, who is serving as the Chief Executive of the Ayushman Scheme since its inception in 2018.
- RS Sharma, a former chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai), who would take charge of the NHA from February 1
BCCI Secretary Jay Shah takes over as President of Asian Cricket Council (ACC)
- Jay Shah, the incumbent Secretary of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has been appointed as the new President of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC).
- He replaces Nazmul Hussain, Chief of Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) who was the previous chief of the ACC.
- Asian Cricket Council (ACC) headquarter – Colombo, Sri Lanka
BCCI cancels Ranji Trophy 2020-21 for first time in 87 years
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided not to conduct the Ranji Trophy in 2020-21 .
- This will be first time in 87 years since its inception in 1934-35, that India’s premier first-class cricket national championship will not be held in 2020-21 domestic season.
- Instead on Ranji Trophy, BCCI has decided to conduct the Vijay Hazare Trophy 50-over tournament and Senior Women’s One Day tournament after the completion of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy T20 tournament.
World Leprosy Day 2021: 31 January
- World Leprosy Day is observed around the world on the last Sunday of January every year to raise global awareness of this deadly ancient disease and call attention to the fact that it can be prevented, treated and cured.
- World Leprosy Day 2021: 31 January 2021.
- Theme 2021: “Beat Leprosy, End Stigma and advocate for Mental Wellbeing ”
- The day was initiated in 1954 by French philanthropist and writer, Raoul Follereau, as a tribute to the life of the Mahatma Gandhi who had compassion for people afflicted with leprosy.
- Note: In India, World Leprosy Day is celebrated on 30 January, the anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s death.
Oscar and Emmy Award winning actress Cloris Leachman passes away at 94
- Academy Award winning American actor Cloris Leachman, one of the most decorated actors in American television history, has passed away. She was 94.
- Leachman died in her sleep of natural causes.
- She won eight Emmy Awards in her storied television career.
- She also won an Academy Award, a British Academy Film Award, a Golden Globe Award for her film career.
1995 Nobel Chemistry Prize Winner Paul Crutzen passes away at 87
- The Nobel Prize-winning chemist Paul J. Crutzen, has passed away. He was 87.
- Dr. Crutzen won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1995, jointly with Mario J. Molina and F. Sherwood Rowland, for their work in atmospheric chemistry, particularly concerning the formation and decomposition of ozone
- He was known for his work on the ozone layer and climate change and for popularizing the term ‘Anthropocene’ to describe a proposed new era when human actions have a drastic effect on the Earth.