Top Current Affairs 28 February 2021
Top Current Affairs 28 February 2021: This post contains the latest current affairs for 28 February 2021 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
PM Modi inaugurates first-ever India Toy Fair 2021
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the India Toy Fair 2021 on February 27, 2021 through video conference.
- The first ever Toy Fair will be held from February 27, 2021 to March 02, 2021, on a virtual platform.
- More than 1,000 exhibitors are participating in the fair.
- The official website for India Toy Fair-2021 is www.theindiatoyfair.in.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attends virtual G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting
- Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the First G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the Italian Presidency on February 26, 2021.
- The main aim to the meeting was to discuss policy actions for transformative and equitable recovery along with other issues on the agenda including global economic outlook, financial sector issues, financial inclusion and sustainable finance.
- It must be noted that this meeting is follow-up for the upcoming 2021 G20 Summit, the sixteenth meeting of Group of Twenty, scheduled to take place in Rome, Italy, on 30–31 October 2021.
State Bank of India joins ‘Liink’ blockchain-based payment network of JPMorgan
- The State Bank of India has tied up with JPMorgan to use the blockchain technology “Liink” of the US-based bank to speed up overseas transactions.
- With this, SBI has become the first bank in India to go live on the blockchain-based payment network of JPMorgan.
- The tie up will reduce the transaction costs and time taken by SBI customers for overseas payments.
- Also the time taken to resolve cross-border payments-related inquiries can be reduced to a few hours from up to a fortnight and payments will reach beneficiaries faster and using limited steps.
AU Small Finance Bank Appoints Sharad Goklani as new President & CTO
- Sharad Goklani has been appointed as the President & Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of Jaipur-based AU Small Finance Bank.
- Prior to this, Goklani was the executive vice president and chief technology officer (EVP & CTO) at Equitas Small Finance Bank.
- Founded in Jaipur in 1996 as Au Financiers, a non-deposit taking NBFC, the company transformed into AU Small Finance Bank in 2017.
Russian supermodel ‘Supernova’ Natalia Vodianova roped in as UNFPA goodwill ambassador
- Renowned Russian supermodel, entrepreneur, public speaker and philanthropist Natalia Mikhailovna Vodianova, has been appointed as the U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA) goodwill ambassador , the reproductive and maternal health agency of UN.
- Popularly known as Supernova, the 39-year-old will campaign and promote the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls and tackle stigmas surrounding their bodies.
- UNFPA headquarter- New York, United States.
Yusuf Pathan announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Yusuf Pathan, the former India all-rounder, has announced his retirement from all formats of cricket on February 26, 2021.
- Yusuf, who is the elder brother of former India cricketer Irfan Pathan, played 57 ODIs and 22 T20Is for India between 2007 and 2012.
- The 38-year-old was part of the Indian team that won 2007 T20 World Cup as well as the 2011 ODI World Cup.
- Yusuf scored 810 ODI runs and 236 T20I runs for India, as well as picked up 46 wickets in limited-overs international cricket.
- In Domestic cricket, Pathan played for Baroda in throughout his career.
R. Vinay Kumar announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Former India cricketer and Karnataka captain R. Vinay Kumar has announced his retirement from international and first-class cricket.
- The 37-year-old pace bowler, Vinay Kumar has represented India in all formats, playing single Test, 31 ODIs and 9 T20Is for India between 2010 and 2013.
- He has led Karnataka to consecutive Ranji Trophy titles, in his 17-year domestic career.
India observes Second Protein Day on February 27, 2021
- In India, February 27th is celebrated as the National Protein Day, to create awareness about protein deficiency and encourage people to include of this macronutrient in their diet.
- The day was launched by the ‘Right to Protein’,
a national-level public health initiative on February 27, 2020.
- 2021 marks the second year for this nutritional awareness milestone in India by ‘Right to Protein’.
- Theme for 2021: Powering with Plant Protein.
National Science Day: 28 February
- The National Science Day is celebrated on 28 February each year in India to spread the message about the importance of science in the daily life of the people.
- Theme for 2021 – ‘Future of STI: Impact on Education Skills and Work’
- Purpose – To commemorate the discovery of Raman effect.
- Indian physicist Sir C V Raman discovered the Raman effect on 28 February 1928.and was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930 for it.
- Rare Disease Day is observed every year on the last day of February. This year in 2021 it falls on February 28, 2021.
- It is observed to raise awareness for rare diseases and improve access to treatment and medical representation for individuals with rare diseases and their families.
- Rare Disease Day was first launched by EURORDIS and its Council of National Alliances in 2008.