Top Current Affairs 16 and 17 March 2021: This post contains the latest current affairs for 16 & 17 March 2021 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Nidhi – a single non-lapsable reserve fund for Health from the proceeds of health and Education Cess
- The Union Cabinet has approved the creation of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Nidhi (PMSSN), a single non-lapsable reserve fund for health.
- The share of Health from the proceeds of Health and Education Cess (4%) levied under Section 136-b of Finance Act, 2007, will be credited to PMSSN.
Benefits of PMSSN
- Enhanced access to universal & affordable health care through availability of earmarked resources, while ensuring that the amount does not lapse at the end of financial year.
Government announces “All India Tourist Vehicles Authorization and Permit Rules, 2021” to be effective from April 01
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has announced a new scheme for tourist vehicle operators, under which any tourist vehicle operator may apply for an “All India tourist authorization and permit” through online mode.
- The new set of rules will be known as “All India Tourist Vehicles Authorization and Permit Rules, 2021”.
- This will come into effect from April 01, 2021.
- The new rules for permits is aimed at promoting tourism across the states in our country, while simultaneously, helping to grow the revenue of state Governments.
- The permits will be issued, after relevant documents are submitted and fees deposited, within 30 days of submission of such applications.
- The authorization/permit will be granted, for a period of three months or its multiples thereof, not exceeding three years at a time.
INS Jalashwa reaches Port Anjouan in Comoros to deliver 1,000 tonnes of rice
- The Indian Naval Ship INS Jalashwa arrived at Port Anjouan, Comoros on 14 March 2021 to deliver 1,000 Metric Tonnes of rice, under Mission Sagar-IV.
- SAGAR, which stands for “Security and Growth for all in the Indian Ocean Region”, was started by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May 2020 to assist maritime neighbours such as Comoros amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- INS Jalashwa is the largest amphibious ship of Indian Navy.
Apps & Services
NPCI launches UPI-Help on BHIM app for Grievance Redressal
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella entity for digital payments in India, has launched a new application named “UPI-Help” on BHIM UPI, which will act as a grievance redressal mechanism for the users of the BHIM application.
- The UPI-Help will enable the users to:
- check the status of the pending transactions,
- raise complaints against transactions that have not been processed
- raise complaints against money that has not reached the beneficiary
- raise complaints against merchant transactions
- Initially, UPI-Help has been made live on the BHIM app for the customers of State Bank of India, AXIS Bank, HDFC Bank, and ICICI Bank.
- Users of other banks participating in UPI will also be added to UPI-Help soon.
2021 Grammy Awards Winners
- The 63rd edition of Annual Grammy Awards ceremony was held in Los Angeles on March 14, 2021.
- The 2021 Grammy awards recognized the best recordings, compositions, and artists of the eligibility year, between September 1, 2019, to August 31, 2020
- The award is presented by The Recording Academy to recognize achievements in the American music industry.
- Beyonce received the most nominations with nine, as well as the most awards with four.
List of Winners
- Record of the Year : “Everything I Wanted”, by Billie Eilish
- Album of the Year : “Folklore”, by Taylor Swift
- Song of the Year : “I Can’t Breathe”, by Dernst Emile II, H.E.R. and Tiara Thomas
- Best New Artist : Megan Thee Stallion
Former Boxing Champion ‘Marvelous’ Marvin Hagler Passes Away at 66
- The former undisputed middleweight boxing legend “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler has passed away. He was 66.
- Hagler, the American legend, ruled as the undisputed middleweight champion from 1980 to 1987.
- He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and the World Boxing Hall of Fame in 1993.
Noted Kathakali Dancer Chemancheri Kunhiraman Nair passes away at 105
- Veteran Kathakali artist Chemancheri Kunhiraman Nair has passed away in Kozhikode, Kerala. He was 105-year old.
- He was awarded with Padma Shri in 2017 for his contributions to the dance form of Kathakali.
- Besides this, Chemencheri was also the recipient of several other awards like the Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Award in 1979, Kerala Kalamandalam award in 2001, Kalaratnam award in 2009, Mayilpeeli award and Sangeet Natak Academi Tagore award.
Renowned Padma Bhushan winning painter Laxman Pai passes away in Goa
- Renowned Indian artist and painter Laxman Pai has passed away. He was 95.
- The Goa-based painter was a recipient of the Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian honour
- Apart from this, Pai was honoured with several other prestigious awards, including Padma Shri, Nehru Award and Lalit Kala Akademi Award among others.
World Consumer Rights Day: 15 March
- World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated on March 15 every year to raise global awareness about consumer rights and needs,and protect consumers across the globe against market abuses.
- The theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2021 is “Tackling Plastic Pollution.”.
- The day highlights the power of consumers and their rights for a fair, safe and sustainable marketplace for everyone.
National Vaccination Day: March 16
- The National Vaccination Day, (also called the National Immunization Day), is celebrated every year on March 16 in India, to convey the importance of vaccination to the entire nation.
- The day was first observed in the year 1995. It was in 1995 that India started Pulse Polio Programme and the first dose of Oral Polio Vaccine was given.
- In 2021, the National Vaccination Day is important as the country has started its biggest Covid-19 immunization programme.
- According to the World Health Organization, immunization is a process through which an individual’s immune system becomes fortified against foreign harm causing agent.
India’s Foreign Exchange Reserves surpasses Russia to become fourth biggest in world
- India’s foreign-exchange reserves surpassed Russia’s to become the world’s fourth largest reserve.
- The foreign currency holdings of India stood at $580.3 billion as of March 5, as per the data by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The reserve of Russia was $580.1 billion.
- Overall, China has the largest reserves, followed by Japan and Switzerland, as on the International Monetary Fund table.
US surpasses Saudi Arabia to become India’s second biggest oil supplier
- The United States has overtaken Saudi Arabia as India’s second biggest oil supplier.
- The overall import of India from the United States, rose 48 percent to a record 545,300 barrels per day (bpd) in February 2021 compared to January 2021.
- This accounts for 14 percent of India’s overall imports in February 2021.
- In contrast, the imports from Saudi Arabia in February 2021 fell by 42 percent compared to January 2021, to a decade-low of 445,200 bpd.
- Saudi Arabia has consistently been one of India’s top two suppliers, but unfortunately slipped to No. 4 position for the first time since at least January 2006.
- Iraq continued to be the top oil supplier to India despite a 23 percent decline in purchases to a five-month low of 867,500 bpd.