Ranking and Index
Singapore Tops Economic Freedom Index 2021; India Ranks 121: The Heritage Foundation
- Singapore has topped the global ranking in the Economic Freedom Index 2021, for second year in a row, published by US conservative think-tank, The Heritage Foundation
- The overall score of Singapore increased by 0.3 points to 89.7 in this edition, primarily due to an improvement in the score for government spending.
- The index has covered 184 countries in the study and the period of study is July 2019 to June 2020.
India in the index
- India has been placed at 121 position in the index, with a score of 56.5 out of 100. India is put under “Mostly Unfree category”
- Among Asia-Pacific countries, India ranks 26 out of 40 countries.
Scorpene-class submarine INS Karanj commissioned into the Indian Navy in Mumbai
- The third Scorpene-class submarine “INS Karanj” was commissioned into the Indian Navy in Mumbai on March 10, 2021, in presence of Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Karambir Singh and Admiral (Retired) VS Shekhawat.
- INS Karanj is third in the series of six Scorpene-class diesel-electric submarine, being built for Indian Navy.
- The technology have been designed by France’s Naval Group and is being built in India by Mazagon Dock Limited under Project 75.
- Other submarines of this class
- First two submarines, INS Kalvari and INS Khanderi, have already been commissioned into the Navy.
- 4th- INS Vela –undergoing trials at sea.
- 5th- INS Vagir – launched in November 2020 and is expected to be commissioned in 2022
- 6th – ‘Vagsheer’ – currently under construction
China and Russia Inks MoU to jointly build Lunar Space Station
- The space agencies of China and Russia have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on behalf of their national governments, to jointly construct a lunar space station that will be open to all countries.
- Dubbed as the “International Scientific Lunar Station (ISLS)”, the centre will be a “complex of experimental and research facilities” created on the moon’s surface and/or in orbit of the moon.
- The goal of setting up ISLS is strengthening research cooperation and promoting the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes in the interests of all mankind.
- The MoU was officially signed between the Chinese space agency, China National Space Administration (CNSA) and the Russian space agency Roscosmos, on March 09, 2021.
OECD Projects India to be the Fastest Growing Major Economy in 2021 at 12.6%
- According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Economic Outlook, Interim Report March 2021, India is set to regain its title as the world’s fastest growing major economy in 2021.
- In the report, OECD has projected that GDP of India will grow 12.6 percent in 2021, compared to -7.4 percent in 2020.
- This positive growth is highest among the world’s 20 major economies.
- The global GDP growth is projected at 5.5 percent in 2021 and 4 percent in 2022 by OECD.
CRISIL Projects Indian economy to grow at 11% in FY’22
- CRISIL Rating agency has projected the GDP growth of India to rebound to 11% in FY’22 (2021-22).
- This positive estimate depends on four major factors which includes, people have learn to live with the new normal, flattening of the Covid-19 affliction curve, rollout of vaccinations, and investment-focused government spending converge.
- Earlier, Crisil has estimated the India’s GDP to contract 8% in FY21 due to the coronavirus pandemic-induced recession.
Tirath Singh Rawat takes oath as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
- Tirath Singh Rawat, the BJP Lok Sabha MP from Pauri Garhwal constituency, has been sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
- He replaces Trivendra Singh Rawat who had stepped down from the post on March 09, 2021.
- Tirath Singh Rawat was administered the oath of office by Uttarakhand Governor Baby Rani Maurya on March 10, 2021.
CAG of India Girish Murmu re-appointed Chairman of UN Panel of External Auditors for 2021
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) Girish Chandra Murmu has been re-appointed as the Chairman of the Panel of External Auditors of the United Nations for the year 2021.
- Prior to this, Mr. Murmu was elected as Chairman of the Panel for 2020 as well.
- At present, the panel consists of 13 countries which are India, Germany, Chile, China, United Kingdom, France, Philippines, Switzerland, Italy, Ghana, Indonesia, Canada and Russia.
- The Panel of External Auditors was established by the UN General Assembly in 1959, as a distinctive forum to support the delivery of high quality, standards-based assurance, to ensure that reported financial information provides a transparent and accurate basis for the financial decisions made by the United Nations and its Specialized Agencies
Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou wins Africa’s top prize for Leadership
- Mahamadou Issoufou, the incumbent President of Niger has won the “2020 Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership”, the world’s largest leadership prize, worth $5 million.
- Issoufou is the sixth winner of the Ibrahim Prize since it was introduced in 2006, by Sudanese billionaire Mo Ibrahim’s foundation to promote good governance in the world’s poorest continent.
- The 69-year-old Issoufou is stepping down as president of Niger in April 2021, after serving two terms in office.
- He first took office in 2011 and was then re-elected in 2016.
R Ashwin adjudged ICC Men’s Player of the Month for February 2021
- Team India’s premier off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has been named as the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for February 2021
- Ashwin played three Tests against England in February 2021, scoring 24 wickets and 176 runs.
- In Women’s category, England’s Tammy Beaumont has been adjudged the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for February.
- Beaumont played three ODIs in February against New Zealand where she passed fifty in each of these, totalling 231 runs.
- Earlier, Indian wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant was named ICC’s Men’s Player of the Month for January 2021.
Chess Player Koneru Humpy named BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year 2021
- The World rapid chess champion Koneru Humpy has won the BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year award for 2021.
- The 33-year-old Andhra Pradesh native, became the youngest woman ever to become Grandmaster at the age of 15 years in 2002.
- Veteran athlete Anju Bobby George won the Lifetime Achievement award.
- Young shooter Manu Bhaker won the Emerging Player-of-the-Year award.
Central Industrial Security Forces (CISF) Celebrates 52nd Raising Day on March 10, 2021
- The Central Industrial Security Forces (CISF) – Raising Day (CRD) is observed on March 10 in India every year.
- In 2021, nation is celebrating the 52nd Raising Day of CISF.
- CISF was set up under an Act of the Parliament of India on 10 March 1969, for the better protection and security of industrial undertakings in the country.
- Eventually, it was made an armed force of the Republic of India by another Act of Parliament passed on 15 June 1983.
- CISF is one of six paramilitary forces in India and functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs with its headquarters at New Delhi.
- The basic objective of the CISF is Better “protection and security” of industrial undertakings in both government and private sectors in the country.
- The CISF has 12 reserve battalions and 8 training institutes.
Veteran Marathi Actor Shrikant Moghe Passes Away at 91
- The Marathi stage and film actor Shrikant Moghe has passed away in Pune after suffering from age-related ailments. He was 91.
- Moghe was popular for his work in both Marathi and Hindi languages.
- Shrikant Moghe was born at Kirloskarwadi in Sangli district of Maharashtra.