Punjab: State General Category Commission
Please Subscribe and Get Daily Updates in Your Inbox!!!
24 December 2021 Current Affairs:The Punjab Cabinet, led by Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi, has approved the establishment of a “State General Category Commission” for the unreserved classes.
- The Commission will protect the rights of unreserved classes and assist in the effective implementation of various welfare programs.
- The Commission will work to improve the lives of unreserved poor people. Other states are expected to establish a General Category Commission.
- Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, in addition to Punjab, have established “state General Category Commissions.”
- In addition, the Cabinet decided to establish a Geeta Adhyayan and Sanatani Granth Institute at Patiala’s Jagat Guru Nanak Dev Punjab State Open University for teaching and research.
- The exemption of Motor Vehicle Tax for stage carriage buses (big and minibusses) and contract carriage vehicles with fewer than 16 seats were also approved by the Cabinet.
- This action will save the transportation industry money.
- The Punjab Film and Television Development Council were also approved by the Cabinet. This council will consist of 11 members and a chairperson appointed by the state government.
One-Time Settlement Policy
- The state cabinet also approved the creation of a “one-time settlement policy” for chronic defaulters of principal cost dues on industrial plots located throughout the state.
- Defaulters will be given the opportunity to pay off their long-standing debts after receiving a 100 percent penalty interest waiver and a 25% normal interest due waiver, up to the current reserve price of the plot.
- Plot owners must pay their dues by March 31, 2022, or risk losing their plot.