Indias First Sanitary-Napkin Free Village
Please Subscribe and Get Daily Updates in Your Inbox!!!
18 January 2022 Current Affairs:Kumbalanghi in Kerala will be India’s first village without sanitary napkins.
- Kumbalanghi in Kerala is scheduled to be the first sanitary napkin-free panchayat in the country.
- This action is part of the ‘Avalkayi’ initiative, which is being carried out in the Ernakulam electoral district in collaboration with HLL Management Academy’s “Thingal Scheme” and Indian Oil Corporation.
- Menstrual cups will be supplied to women in Kumbalangi village aged 18 and up as part of this campaign.
- Under it, 5000 menstruation cups will be supplied. The Governor will also designate Kumbalangi village as a model village at the same time.
- The Pradhan Mantri Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (PM-SAGY) is funding the model village project. In addition, a new visitor information center will be built in the village.
- Kumbalangi is an island town on the fringes of Kerala’s Kochi metropolis.
- It is a popular tourist destination known for its Chinese fishing nets.
- It’s roughly 12 kilometers from the city center, nestled among backwaters.
- The village is also India’s first eco-tourism destination.