Home COVID-19 Treatment Authorised By The US
Please Subscribe and Get Daily Updates in Your Inbox!!!
24 December 2021 Current Affairs:US health regulators approved the first pill (a Pfizer drug) against Covid-19 on December 22, 2021.
- People will be able to take Pfizer’s drug at home in order to avoid covid-19’s worst effects.
- The Pfizer drug was approved as a result of an increase in new infections caused by the Omicron variant, as well as an increase in hospitalization and deaths in the United States.
- Paxlovid is a drug that can be used to treat early Covid-19 infections quickly and cheaply. Paxlovid is the brand name for the drug Nirmatrelvir.
- Pfizer is the company that created this antiviral medication. It works as a 3CL protease inhibitor that can be taken orally.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently granted emergency use authorization for the drug to treat COVID-19 disease.
- It is not approved for COVID-19 pre-exposure or post-exposure prevention. It can also be used to start treatment in people who need to be admitted to the hospital due to COVID-19.
- Pfizer’s drug has been approved by the FDA for adults and children aged 12 and up who have tested positive for Covid-19.
- This medication is for people who have early symptoms and are at high risk of being admitted to the hospital.
- A child must weigh at least 40 kilograms to be eligible for medication. A positive Covid-19 test will be required for patients to receive a prescription.
- Paxlovid has been shown to be effective when given within five days of the onset of symptoms.