Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2021: SAIL
Please Subscribe and Get Daily Updates in Your Inbox!!!
21 December 2021 Current Affairs:For the third year in a row, the Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL), which is part of the Ministry of Steel, has been granted the coveted Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2021.
- Since 1998, the Environment Foundation (WEF) has granted the award to organizations for notable achievements in environmental management.
- The company’s environmental protection efforts are focused on upgrading pollution control facilities, water conservation efforts with the goal of achieving Zero Liquid Discharge, efficient handling of various solid wastes (viz. process waste, hazardous waste, canteen/township waste), carbon sequestration through afforestation, eco-restoration of the mined-out area, and other environmental measures.
- The company’s corporate policies and practices have made carbon footprint reduction a priority.
- Deployment of cutting-edge environmentally friendly technologies, R&D projects in collaboration with reputable academic institutes for resource efficiency, large plantation drives to create carbon sinks, gradual shift to LED lighting, increasing the share of renewable energy, and so on.
- SAIL Founded on 19 January 1954, headquartered in New Delhi. SAIL CEO is Soma Mondal.