Dam Safety Bill
Please Subscribe and Get Daily Updates in Your Inbox!!!
02 December 2021 Current Affairs:The Dam Safety Bill was introduced in Rajya Sabha, which aims to inspect, survey, maintain and operate dams in the country which are 100 years old.
- The bill establishes two national bodies- National Committee on Dam Safety and National Dam Safety Authority.
- The National Committee on Dam Safety will develop policies and support regulations associated with dam safety.
- The National Dam Safety Authority fulfils the policies enshrined by the National Committee and provides technical support to the State Dam Safety Organisations.
- The bill will also constitute two state bodies- State Committee on Dam Safety and State Dam Safety Authority.
- The functions of these committees and authorities are limited at the state level and are the same as the national committees and authorities.
- To resolve issues between State Dam Safety Organisations.
- To assess the potential impact of dam failure.
- To supervise dam rehabilitation programs.
- The states can make irrigation, water supply, canals, dams, drainage, water power, and water storage laws.
- The Parliament can make laws on the law of river valleys and interstate rivers.
- The Parliament can make laws on subjects in the State list if two or more states pass a resolution requiring a law.