CDS General Bipin Rawat And 13 Others Die In Crash Of IAF Helicopter
Please Subscribe and Get Daily Updates in Your Inbox!!!
09 December 2021 Current Affairs:General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Defence Staff, died in a helicopter crash close to Coonoor in Tamil Nadu.
- He was with the 14 people on board, his wife and staff members.
- Thirteen people died in the crash, including CDS Rawat, Madhulika Rawat and 11 others.
- An IAF Mi 17 V5 helicopter with a squad of 4 members bearing the CDS and 9 other passengers had a tragic accident.
- Wing Commander Prithvi Singh Chauhan was piloting the Mi-17V5.
General Bipin Rawat:
- General Rawat finished his education at St Edward School, Shimla and is an alumnus of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla.
- He was designated in the Fifth Battalion of the Eleventh Gorkha Rifles in December 1978 from the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, where he was also vested in the Sword of Honour.
- He entered the army as a second lieutenant in 1978 and has four decades of service behind him, having overseen forces in Kashmir and along the Line of Actual Control bordering China.
- He is credited with reducing rebellion on India’s northeastern frontier and led a cross-border counter-insurgency operation into neighbouring Myanmar.
- Rawat was chief of the army from 2017 to 2019 before his peak to defence services chief.