Top Current Affairs 30 September 2020: This post contains the latest current affairs for 30 September 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Banking & Economy
SEBI allows REITs, InvITs to raise fund in institutional placement after 2 weeks of previous placement
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has eased the norms for Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Infrastructure Investment Trusts (InvITs) for preferential and institutional placement of their respective units.
- SEBI has allowed Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Infrastructure Investment Trusts (InvITs) to raise equity capital through the institutional placement route two weeks after a previous such exercise.
- Earlier the allowed time gap was six months between two institutional placements.
Amnesty International halts India operations after government freezes bank accounts
- The Amnesty International India has stopped its operations in the country, after the government of India froze the bank accounts of the organisation on September 10, for allegedly breaking rules on foreign funding laws.
- The organization has laid off more than 100 staff members and ceased its human rights campaigns and research work in India.
- As per the Government of India, Amnesty International has been receiving foreign funds, which the government has prohibited under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA) 2010.
- Amnesty International Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
PM Modi inaugurates six mega projects in Uttarakhand under Namami Gange Mission
- On 29 September 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated six mega projects in Uttarakhand under the Namami Gange Mission through video conference.
These projects include:
- Construction of a 68 MLD (million liters per day) STP and up-gradation of the existing 27 MLD STP at Jagjeetpur, in Haridwar
- Construction of an 18 MLD STP at Sarai, in Haridwar.
- Inauguration of a 26 MLD STP at Lakkadghat, in Rishikesh
- 7.5 MLD STP in Chandreshwar Nagar
- 5 MLD STP at Chorpani
- 2 STPs with capacities of 1 MLD and 0.01 MLD at Badrinath
Other inaugurations done by PM Modi includes
- “Ganga Avalokan”, the first museum on River Ganga, located at Chandi Ghat, Haridwar. The museum will showcase the culture, biodiversity and rejuvenation activities done in Ganga river.
- A book titled, ‘Rowing down the Ganges’, co-published by National Mission for Clean Ganga & Wildlife Institute of India.
- Logo of Jal Jeevan Mission and ‘Margdarshika for Gram Panchayats and Paani Samitis under Jal Jeevan Mission’
Telangana govt to launch portal Dharani for integrated land record management
- The chief minister of Telangana K Chandrasekhar Rao will launch a web portal named “Dharani” for integrated land record management on October 26, 2020 i.e. on the festive occasion of Dussehra.
- The registration on the portal will begin on the same day i.e. October 26, 2020.
Mukesh Ambani tops Hurun India Rich List for ninth consecutive year
- The Reliance Industries’ Chairman, and Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani has topped the IIFL Wealth Hurun India Rich List 2020 for the ninth consecutive year. He has a total net worth of Rs 6,58,400 crore.
- London-based Hinduja brothers (SP Hinduja, along with his three brothers) is at second position with combined net worth of Rs 1,43,700 crore followed by HCL’s Shiv Nadar at third spot with net worth of Rs 1,41,700 crore.
- The Hurun India Rich list 2020 names the richest individuals in the country with a wealth of Rs 1,000 crore or more as on August 31, 2020.
- In the 2020 edition, the list had 828 Indians.
- The cumulative value of the 828 individuals on the list stood at $821 billion (Rs 60,59,500 crore), an increase of $140 billion (Rs 10,29,400 cr) over the 2019 count.
India-Denmark Virtual Bilateral Summit calls for ‘Green Strategic Partnership’
- The Prime Minister of India,Narendra Modi and the Prime Minister of Denmark, Mette Frederiksen participated in a virtual India-Denmark Bilateral Summit on 28 September 2020.
- The summit aimed at further extending cooperation to strengthen bilateral relations between the two countries.
During the Summit, the two countries agreed for the establishment of ‘Green Strategic Partnership’, which would involve:
- political cooperation,
- expand economic relations and green growth,
- create jobs and strengthen cooperation on addressing global challenges and opportunities
- ambitious implementation of the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- The summit saw signing of an MoU in the field of intellectual property cooperation between the two countries.
- Apart from this, Denmark also joined the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
- Denmark has also proposed to host the second India-Nordic Summit.
- A joint statement was issued under which the two sides agreed to cooperate in a range of sectors like energy, climate change, environment, water, circular economy, sustainable urban development, trade, shipping, food, agriculture and life sciences.
P D Vaghela appointed new Chairman of TRAI
- P D Vaghela has been appointed as the new chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). He will replace R S Sharma who will retire on September 20, 2020.
- Vaghela is a 1986-batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre. Presently he was serving as the Secretary, Department of Pharmaceuticals.
- He has been appointed as the Chairman of TRAI for three years or till he attains the age of 65.
Sonu Sood honoured with SDA Special Humanitarian Action Award by UNDP
- The veteran actor Sonu Sood has been conferred the prestigious SDG Special Humanitarian Action Award by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on 28 September 2020 during a virtual ceremony.
- The actor, often dubbed as the “messiah of migrants”, has been awarded for selflessly extending a helping hand and sending home lakhs of migrants, helping thousands of stranded students across geographies abroad, providing free education and medical facilities to young children and creating free employment opportunities to the needy in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- With this honour, Sonu Sood joins the likes of Angelina Jolie, David Beckham, Leonardo DiCaprio, Emma Watson, Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett, Antonio Banderas, Nicole Kidman and Priyanka Chopra who have been similarly honoured by different UN bodies.
Usha Mangeshkar Honored with Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar award for 2020-21 by Maharashtra Govt
- The Maharashtra government has honored veteran singer Usha Mangeshkar with the ”Gansamradni Lata Mangeshkar” award for 2020-21.
- Maharashtra state government is presenting this award since 1992 to felicitate senior vocal artistes and their contribution.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs five lakh and a citation.
- Usha Mangeshkar is the youngest sister of the legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- She received the award on 28 September 2020, on the birth anniversary of Lata Mangeshkar, who has turned 91.
Books & Author
‘A bouquet of flowers’ authored by Dr. Krishna Saksena launched by Rajnath Singh
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched a book titled ‘A bouquet of flowers’ written by Dr. Krishna Saksena.
- Dr. Krishna Saksena is the first lady to get a PhD, in 1955 from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.
Noted Lyricist Abhilash, best known for ‘Itni Shakti Hame Dena Daata’, passes away at 74
- Veteran songwriter Abhilash, who is best known for the song ‘Itni Shakti Hame Dena Daata’ from the 1986 film Ankush, has passed away.
- He was 74.
- His real name was Om Prakash.
- His song ‘Itni Shakti Hame Dena Daata’ has been translated into eight languages and is played as a prayer song across schools and other institutions even today.
Author and critic Dr. G S Amur passes away
- Versatile writer and veteran critic Dr. G S Amur passed away at the age of 95 years due to age-related issues.
- He was proficient in Kannada and English languages. He had won many awards including Sahitya Akademi Award, Rajyotsava Award and Bharatiya Bhasha Award.
- Some of his books are- English- ‘Forbidden Fruit, Views on Indo-Anglian Fiction’ and ‘Colonial Consciousness in Commonwealth Literature’. Kannada- ‘Arthaloka’, Are Kannada Kadambariya Belavanige’, ‘Vyavasaya’ and ‘Kaadambariya Swaroopa’.
Assam’s only woman CM Syeda Anwara Taimur passes away at 84
- Syeda Anwara Taimur, the only woman Chief Minister in the history of Assam, has passed away after a prolonged illness. She was 84.
- Taimur had been the Chief Minister of Assam from December 6, 1980 to June 30, 1981.
- In 1988, the veteran leader was nominated to the Rajya Sabha from Congress. In 2011, she left the Congress and joined the All India United Democratic Front.
- In 2018, she figured in the headlines after her name was found missing from the NRC (National Register of Citizens).
International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste : 29 September
- In 2020, the world is observing the first edition of the International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste to promote and implement global efforts to resolve the issue of food wastage.
- The United Nations General Assembly designated 29 September as International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste in 2019.
- The theme for 2020 is Stop food loss and waste. For the people. For the planet.
- The main objective of this day is to take steps towards responsible consumption and production as well as zero hunger, along with working towards addressing the problem of climate change through sustainable food habits.
International Translation Day: 30 September
- Every year, the International Translation Day is marked on 30 September.
- The International Federation of Translators (FIT) organise the day ever since it was set up in 1953.
- The day aims to celebrate the work of language translation professionals which facilitates dialogue, understanding and cooperation, contributing to the development and strengthening world peace and security.
- 2020 theme: Finding the words for a world in crisis..
- The day also marks the feast of St. Jerome, the Bible translator who is considered the patron saint of translators.
- The first official celebration of ITD was held in 1991.