Top Current Affairs 28 September 2020
This post contains the latest current affairs for 28 September 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Home Minister Amit Shah virtually inaugurates ‘Destination North East-2020’
- The Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the ‘Destination North East-2020’, through video-conferencing on 27 September 2020.
- The Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Jitendra Singh was the guest of honour of the event.
- The ‘Destination North East-2020′ is a four-day event to highlight various potentials of the Northeast region’ of India like eco-tourism, culture, heritage and business.
- The theme for ‘Destination North East 2020’ is ‘The Emerging Delightful Destinations’.
- The ‘Destination North East’ is organised annually by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region with the objective of taking the northeastern region to other parts of the country and bringing them closer together in order to strengthen national integration.
Shiromani Akali Dal quits BJP-led NDA over farm bills protest
- The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), the oldest ally of Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), has quit the coalition due to the differences over the three farm bills which were recently passed by Parliament.
- SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal announced the decision to cut ties with the NDA on 26 September 2020, amid the rising farmer agitation in Punjab over the three farm legislations.
- The SAD and the BJP had been allies since 1996.
- The SAD is the third major NDA ally to pull out of the coalition after the Shiv Sena and the Telegu Desam Party (TDP).
Madhya Pradesh CM launches ‘Mukhyamantri Kisan Kalyan Yojna’ on lines of PM-Kisan Scheme
- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, inaugurated the`Mukhyamantri Kisan Kalyan Yojna` on 26 September 2020.
- This scheme has been launched on the lines of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-Kisan) Scheme of the Government of India.
- Under the Mukhyamantri Kisan Kalyan Yojna, the MP state government would transfer Rs 4,000 to accounts of 1,75,000 farmers in the state.
- This amount will be transferred in two installments every year.
- The initiative aims to provide additional Rs 4,000 to each farmers so that farmers can get Rs 10,000 annually.
- It must be noted that farmers get Rs 6000 annually under the PM-Kisan scheme of the central government in three instalments of Rs 2000 each.
Lebanon PM-designate Mustapha Adib steps down amid failure over govt formation
- The Prime Minister-designate of Lebanon, Mustapha Adib has announced his resignation following his failure to form a new cabinet.
- Mustapha Adib, Lebanon’s former ambassador to Germany, was selected for the post on 31 August 2020.
- The previous government led by Hassan Diab resigned following the Beirut port blast on August 4 that killed some 200 people and left thousands homeless.
BCCI Appoints Neetu David as head of India women’s selection committee for 4 years
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has appointed Neetu David, one of finest woman cricketers of India in the late ’90s and early 2000, as the Chairman of the 5 member women’s national selection panel.
- The other member of the newly-elected panel includes Mithu Mukherjee, Renu Margrate, Arati Vaidya and V Kalpana.
- The Neetu David-led panel has been appointed for a period of four years. It replaces previous panel, led by Hemlata Kala, whose term ended in March 2020.
- The first assignment of the David-led panel will be to pick three teams for the Women’s T20 Challenge, to held in UAE in November 2020 alongside the IPL play-offs.
Valtteri Bottas wins Russian Grand Prix 2020
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) has won the Formula One Russian Grand Prix 2020 held on 27 September 2020. This is his second win of the season.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) came second followed by the 6-time world-champion Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain), who stood third because of penalties.
Former Union Minister Jaswant Singh Passes Away At 82
- The former Union Minister Jaswant Singh has passed away after a prolonged illness. He was 82.
- Jaswant Singh had served as the external affairs minister, defense minister and finance minister of India, during the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s Cabinet.
- Prior to pursuing career in politics with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Mr. Singh was an officer in the Indian Army in the 1950s and 60s.
World Rabies Day: 28 September
- The World Rabies Day is celebrated annually on September 28 to raise awareness about the impact of rabies on humans and animals, provide information and advice on how to prevent the disease and take efforts to control rabies.
- The theme for the 14th WRD in 2020 is ‘End Rabies: Collaborate, Vaccinate’.
- The day also marks the death anniversary of the French chemist and microbiologist, Louis Pasteur’, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
International Day for Universal Access to Information: 28 September
- The International Day for the Universal Access to Information (commonly known as Access to Information Day) is held on 28 September ever year.
- Universal access to information means that everyone has the right to seek, receive and impart information for healthy and inclusive knowledge societies..
- Initially the day was designated by the UNESCO in November 2015 and was first held on 28 September 2016.
- It was later proclaimed on 15 October 2019 at the 74th UN General Assembly.
- Theme 2020 : Access to Information – Saving lives, Building Trust, Bringing Hope!