Top Current Affairs 22 September 2020: This post contains the latest current affairs for 22 September 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
PM Modi Awarded Ig Nobel Prize 2020 for Medical Education
- Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi has been awarded the Ig Nobel Prize 2020 for Medical Education.
He has been awarded the prestigious award for “using the COVID-19 pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can”.
- PM Modi shares the award with Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the USA, Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan.
PM Modi is the second Indian Prime Minister to be honored with the Ig Nobel Prize.
- Prior to this, Atal Bihari Vajpayee was awarded in 1998. He jointly won the Ig Nobel Peace Prize with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif of Pakistan for aggressively peaceful explosions of atomic bombs.
- Apart from this, the governments of India and Pakistan jointly won the Ig Nobel Peace Prize 2020 for having their diplomats surreptitiously ring each other’s doorbells in the middle of the night, and then run away before anyone had a chance to answer the door in Islamabad and New Delhi city respectively.
Centre Approves an Outlay of Rs 600 crore for PM Svanidhi Scheme
- The Government of India has approved a total outlay of Rs.600.00 crores for the PM SVANidhi scheme.
- This was informed by Minister of State (I/C) for Housing and Urban Affairs Shri Hardeep Singh Puri in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on 21 September 2020.
- The Prime Minister Street Vendor’s Amta Nirbhar Nidhi Scheme (PM SVANidhi) was launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has on 01 June 2020 to facilitate collateral-free working capital loans upto Rs 10,000 of 1 year tenure, to about 50 lakh street vendors across the country.
PM Modi lays foundation stone of nine highway projects worth Rs 14,258 Cr in Bihar; launches Ghar Tak Fibre project
- Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of nine highway projects worth Rs. 14,258 crore in Bihar through video conferencing on 21 September 2020.
- These highway projects includes constructing road length of about 350 kilometres at a cost of Rs. 4258 crore and three bridges.
- PM Modi also inaugurated the Ghar Tak Fibre project, under which all the 45,945 villages of Bihar will be connected through Optical Fibre Internet Service.
- This project will be executed by combined efforts of the Department of Telecom, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and Common Service Centres (CSC).
- PM also announced that the government has the target to connect six lakh villages across the country to the internet in the coming 1,000 days.
Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Women and Child Development sign MoU for or Controlling Malnutrition
- Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Women and Child Development have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for controlling Malnutrition as a part of POSHAN Abhiyaan.
Both ministries will cooperate for:
- Integration of AYUSH into POSHAN Abhiyaan and
- Control of malnutrition through the principles and practices of Ayurveda, Yoga and other Ayush systems
- Apart from this, both the ministries will launch the hashtag #Ayush4Anganwadi for generating awareness about the activities on the digital media.
- The Anganwadi worker who is providing the Ayurveda nutrition message to the community at ground level may be designated as ‘DHATRI’ – Dedicated Health Activist to Replenish the Innutrition.
MCA extends the tenure of Company Law Committee by 1 year; Head- Rajesh Verma
- The Ministry of Corporate Affairs has extended the tenure of the Company Law Committee by one year until September 2021. Corporate affairs secretary Rajesh Verma is the present chairperson of the committee.
The committee has a total of 11 members. It was set up to:
- suggest measures to improve the functioning of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT),
- make recommendations on issues pertaining to the implementation of the Companies Act and Limited Liability Partnership Act.
First-ever Direct Cargo ferry service unveiled between India and Maldives
- India and the Maldives have launched the first ever Direct Cargo Ferry Service on 21 September 2020 to boost trade between the two countries.
- The cargo ferry service will connect the Indian ports of Tuticorin and Cochin ports with Kulhudhuhfushi and Male ports in the Maldives.
- This initiative will help to cut costs and reduce the time taken to transport goods between the two countries.
- The Cargo Ferry Vessel MCP Linz operated by the Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) will be used to connect the Indian and Maldivian ports.
Former RAW chief Anil Dhasmana appointed as new chief of National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO)
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by PM Narendra Modi has approved the appointment of former Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) chief, Anil Dhasmana, as the new Chief of National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) for a period of two years with effect from 18 September 2020.
- He will replace former Intelligence Bureau (IB) officer Satish Chandra Jha.
- Dhasmana, a 1981-batch officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, has been the chief of RAW from 31 January 2017 to 29 June 2019.
- NTRO is a technical intelligence Agency under the National Security Advisor in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), which looks after geospatial intelligence and satellite imagery.
Simona Halep & Novak Djokovic wins 2020 Italian Open title
- Novak Djokovic has defetaed Argentine Diego Schwartzman, 7-6, 5-3, to win 2020 Men’s Single Italian Open title and his fifth overall Rome title.
- In Women’s single, Simona Halep defeated champion Karolina Pliskova, 6-0, 2-1, to win her first Italian Open title.
- Men’s Single- Novak Djokovic
- Women’s Single- Simona Halep
- Men’s Double- Marcel Granollers /Horacio Zeballos
- Women’s Double- Hsieh Su-wei / Barbora Strýcová
Assam Musician Bibhuranjan Choudhury passes away
- Music composer, singer, lyricist and actor Bibhuranjan Choudhury passed away at the age of 71 years due to cancer.
- He was from Assam. Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal condoled the demise of Bibhuranjan Choudhury.
Nepal’s Legendary Mountaineer Ang Rita Sherpa, first to Summit Mount Everest 10 times, passes away at 72
- Nepal-based Ang Rita Sherpa, the first man to climb Mount Everest 10 times, has passed away suffering brain and liver ailments for a long time. He was 72.
- Ang Rita made all the ascents to the world’s tallest mountain between 1983 and 1996 and that too without bottled oxygen.
- He was therefore also known as the “snow leopard” for his climbing skills.
International Red Panda Day 2020: 19 September
- The International Red Panda Day (IRPD) is celebrated on third Saturday of September every year to raise public awareness and support for red panda conservation issues.
- In 2020, the IRPD is being observed on 19 September 2020.
- The day was launched by the Red Panda Network in 2010.