Daily Current Affairs 19 November 2020: This post contains the latest current affairs for 19 November 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Banking & Economy
RBI places Lakshmi Vilas Bank under moratorium; Withdrawal limit- Rs 25,000
- The Reserve Bank of India has placed The Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd. under Moratorium, which means that there will be certain restrictions on the bank regarding making payments to its customers and making investments/loans.
- RBI has taken this step as the financial position of The Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd. has undergone a steady decline and it has incurred continuous losses over the last three years, eroding its net-worth.
- The moratorium has been placed on LVB for 30 days starting November 17, 2020.
- A customer who holds an account in LVB can withdraw a maximum of Rs 25,000 from his account till the time the bank is under moratorium.
- Administrator: Along with this, RBI has superseded the Board of Directors of The Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd. for a period of 30 days. Shri T. N. Manoharan, former Non Executive Chairman of Canara Bank has been appointed as the Administrator of LVB.
- LVB Headquarters: Karur, Tamilnadu
Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan announces ‘Gau Cabinet’ for protection of cows
- The Madhya Pradesh government, led by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, has decided to set up a ‘Gau Cabinet’ for the protection, conservation and promotion of cows in the state.
- The Cabinet will comprise of the departments of animal husbandry, forests, panchayat and rural development, revenue, home and farmers welfare.
- The first meeting of the Cabinet will be held at 12 pm on ‘Gopashtami’ on November 22 at the Cow Sanctuary in Agar-Malwa district named ‘Kamdhenu Gau Abhyaranya ‘.
- It is India’s first cow sanctuary which was set up by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led Madhya Pradesh government in September 2017.
Japan & Australia signs defence deal to counter China’s growing influence in South China Sea
- Japan and Australia have signed a ‘landmark’ defence pact in a bid to counter China’s growing influence in the South China Sea and over the Pacific island nations.
- The deal called Reciprocal Access Agreement (RAA) was signed between Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison on 17 November 2020.
- RAA will allow Japanese and Australian troops to visit each other’s countries and conduct training and joint operations.
- The treaty will strengthen their security ties and facilitate cooperation between defence forces.
Sudeep Tyagi announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Indian cricketer Sudeep Tyagi, has announced his retirement from all forms of the game on 17 November 2020.
- The 33-year-old had played for the Indian national cricket team in four ODIs and a lone T20I as a fast bowler,
- Apart from this, the right-arm medium-fast bowler had also featured in 14 games in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH).
World COPD Day 2020: 18 November
- World COPD Day is observed on third Wednesday of November every year to raise awareness about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and improve COPD care throughout the world.
- World COPD Day 2020 falls on 18 November 2020.
- The 2020 theme : Living Well with COPD-Everybody, Everywhere.
- The day is organized by the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) in collaboration with health care professionals and COPD patient groups throughout the world.
- The first World COPD Day was held in 2002.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung disease that block airflow and make it difficult to breathe.
World Toilet Day: 19 November
- World Toilet Day (WTD) is observed every year on 19 November to inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis.
- The day was established by the World Toilet Organization in 2001 and officially declared by UN General Assembly in 2013.
- 2020 theme– “Sustainable sanitation and climate change”.
Former Goa Governor Mridula Sinha passes away at 77
- Former Governor of Goa and veteran BJP leader Mridula Sinha has passed away.
- She was 77.
- Mridula Sinha was the first woman Governor of Goa.
- She was also a renowned Hindi writer.
- Mridula has served as the head of the BJP’s women’s wing and Chairperson of Central Social Welfare Board in the Ministry of Human Resource Development.