Top Current Affairs 16 October 2020: This post contains the latest current affairs for 16 October 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Director-General of Shipping authorized as the National Authority for Recycling of Ships
- The Central government has notified the Director-General of Shipping as the National Authority for Recycling of Ships.
- The DG Shipping has been designated as the apex authority for the ship recycling industry of India under Section 3 of the Recycling of Ships Act, 2019.
- The office of the National Authority of Ship Recycling will be set up in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- National Authority for Recycling of Ships will administer, supervise and monitor all activities relating to ship recycling.
- It would be the final authority for the various approvals required by the ship-recycling yard owners and the State governments.
Cabinet approves Rs. 5718 crore World Bank-supported STARS project for Improving School Education
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved the implementation of the Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States (STARS) project, as a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme under Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education for improving the quality of education, in the Indian School Education System.
- Outlay: The total project cost is Rs 5718 crore with the financial support of World Bank amounting to US $ 500 million (approximately Rs. 3700 crore).
- The project will cover 6 States namely Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Odisha.
The project envisages improving the overall monitoring and measurement activities in the Indian School Education System by supporting the:
- selected states in developing, implementing, evaluating and improving interventions with direct linkages to improved education outcomes and
- school to work transition strategies for improved labour market outcomes
- The overall focus and components of the STARS project are aligned with the objectives of National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 of Quality Based Learning Outcomes.
Union Cabinet approves Rs 520 crore package under NRLM for J&K and Ladakh
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved a special package of Rs 520 crore for the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh under the National Rural Livelihood Mission.
- This special package has been approved for a period of five years till the financial year 2023-24.
- The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM) will ensure sufficient funds to both the Union Territories with the aim to eliminate rural poverty and improved access to financial services.
- The decision is in line with Centre’s aim to universalise all centrally sponsored beneficiary-oriented schemes in J&K and Ladakh in a time-bound manner.
World’s biggest Zinc Smelter facility to be set up in Dosawada of Tapi district in Gujarat
- The state Government of Gujarat has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL), a subsidiary of Vedanta Group, to set up a Zinc Smelter plant at Doswada in Tapi district.
- The HZL will invest Rs 10,000 crore for this project, which will be the world’s largest zinc smelting facility.
- It will have a generation capacity of 300 kilo-tonnes per annum (ktpa).
- The first phase of the project is expected to be commissioned within 36 months from the date of signing of MoU.
- The plant will accelerate the economic and industrial development of the state and satisfy the domestic as well as global needs through exports.
- What is Zinc smelting? It is the process of converting zinc concentrates (ores that contain zinc) into pure zinc.
Russia Approves Second COVID-19 Vaccine EpiVacCorona, After Sputnik V
- Russia has announced the launch of a second Covid-19 vaccine, named ‘EpiVacCorona’, after early-stage studies.
- ‘EpiVacCorona’ has been developed by the Vector Institute in Siberia and tested among 100 volunteers in early-stage, placebo-controlled human trials.
- In August 2020, Russia launched world’s first Covid-19 vaccine Sputnik V, and became the first country to give regulatory approval to a Covid-19 vaccine
Kyrgyzstan President Sooronbai Jeenbekov steps down due to Political Crisis
- Kyrgyzstan President Sooronbai Jeenbekov has resigned from his post on 15 October 2020, following 10 days of unrest caused by protesters who have demanded his removal from office.
- On 4th October 2020, he was re-elected as the President in Parliamentary election, causing political turmoil throughout the country.
- The 61-year-old has served as the President of Kyrgyzstan from 2017 to 2020.
- He was also the Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan from April 2016 to August 2017.
Bhanu Athaiya, first Indian to win Oscar, passes away at 91
- Costume designer Bhanu Athaiya, the first Indian to win the Oscar award, has passed away due to prolonged illness. She was 91.
- Bhanu Athaiya won the Best Costume Design Oscar for her work in the 1982 film Gandhi, directed by Richard Attenborough.
- Athaiya had also designed costumes for over 100 Bollywood movies.
Well-known Cricket Journalist And Commentator Kishore Bhimani Passes Away At 80
- Veteran sports journalist and Cricket commentator, Kishore Bhimani, has passed away. He was 80.
- Bhimani was a leading cricket commentator in the Eighties and Nineties and is best remembered for being on air during the tied Test of 1986 between India and Australia in Chepauk, Chennai.
- He had received a lifetime achievement award for his decades long contribution in the fields of media and commentary in 2013.
International E-Waste Day: 14 October
- The International E-Waste Day (IEWD) is celebrated on 14 October every year since 2018, to promote the correct disposal of e-waste throughout the world with the aim to increase re-use, recovery and recycling rates.
- 2020 is the third edition of the International E-Waste Day.
- The day was developed in 2018 by the WEEE Forum, an international association of e-waste collection schemes, with the support of its members.
- The theme for 2020 IEWD is Education.
Global Handwashing Day : 15 October
- The Global Handwashing Day (GHD) is observed on 15 October every year.
- It is an international handwashing promotion campaign to motivate and mobilize people around the world to improve their handwashing habits.
- The day was established by the Global Handwashing Partnership (GHP) (formerly called “Public Private Partnership for Handwashing” (PPPHW)) in 2008
- Theme of GHD 2020 is Hand Hygiene for All.
World Food Day: 16 October
- World Food Day (WFD) is celebrated every year on 16 October across the globe to eradicate worldwide hunger from our lifetime.
- WFD commemorates the day in 1945 when the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) was founded.
- Theme 2020: “Grow, Nourish, Sustain. Together”.