Top Current Affairs 08 October 2020
Top Current Affairs 08 October 2020: This post contains the latest current affairs for 08 October 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Indian Cotton gets Brand Name; To be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ globally
- On the occasion of the 2nd World Cotton Day, the Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, launched the first ever Brand & Logo for Indian Cotton on 7th October, 2020 through Video Conferencing.
- It means that from now on, the premium Cotton of India would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton Trade.
- The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness.
Government launches online startup discovery platform ‘Startup India Showcase’
- To further give boost to the Indian startups, the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has launched an online discovery platform for startups called “Startup India Showcase”.
- The main aim of this website is to make a repository of India’s most promising startups that have proved their capabilities, from across sectors such as fintech, enterprise tech, social impact, healthtech, and edtech, among others.
- The listed firms will also be considered by the government and corporate buyers as potential suppliers of goods or services.
- The startups mentioned on the website will be handpicked by experts, and will go through multiple screening and evaluation rounds,
- Each startup will have its own profile page, with detailed information about its product and innovation, as well as video and PDF links.
- The platform will also act as an online networking portal, by mentioning LinkedIn and Twitter pages of the founders.
Piyush Goyal Declares the Results of the First National Startup Awards 2020
- The Union Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry Shri Piyush Goyal announced the Results of the first-ever National Startup Awards 2020 on 6th October 2020.
- The award has been introduced by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) to recognize and reward outstanding Startups and ecosystem enablers that are building innovative products or solutions and scalable enterprises, with high potential of employment generation or wealth creation, demonstrating measurable social impact.
- The first edition of the Awards had applications from 12 sectors, which were further sub-classified into a total of 35 categories.
- These 12 sectors are Agriculture, Education, Enterprise Technology, Energy, Finance, Food, Health, Industry 4.0, Space, Security, Tourism and Urban Services. Apart from these, startups are to be selected from those which create impact in rural areas, are women-led and founded in academic campuses.
- A total of 1641 applications were received from startups from 23 States and 4 Union Territories.
- All applicants were evaluated against six broad parameters namely Innovation, Scalability, Economic Impact, Social Impact, Environmental Impact, and Inclusiveness and Diversity.
Government launches API integration between PM SVANidhi Portal and SBI eMudra Portal
- The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs will integrate the application programming interface (API) between SVANidhi portal and various banks to expedite loan sanctioning and disbursement process under Modi government’s PM SVANidhi scheme for nano entrepreneurs.
- To begin with, the ministry launched the API integration between the PM SVANidhi portal and SBI’s eMudra portal on 7 October 2020.
- This integration will facilitate seamless flow of data between the PM SVANidhi Portal and SBI’s eMudra Portal in a secure environment.
- It will expedite the loan sanctioning and disbursement process, to benefit the street vendors seeking a working capital loan under the Scheme.
- Ministry would perform similar integration with other banks as well for which a consultative meeting will be held shortly.
Gujarat to launch ‘Digital Seva Setu’ to offer public welfare services online in rural areas
- The state government of Gujarat has announced a ‘Digital Seva Setu’ programme to ensure optimum utilisation of technology for public welfare in rural areas.
- The program has been initiated under the Centre’s BharatNet Project
- Under the ‘Digital Seva Setu’ program, public welfare services will be made available in all the 14,000 gram panchayats in the state by connecting village panchayats through optical fiber network.
- Each village panchayat will get e-gram office so that villagers will not have to go all the way to taluka or district-level offices.
- All the gram panchayats will be connected to the state data center at Gandhinagar.
- Initially, 20 services will be offered to villagers under the programme like ration cards, affidavits and certificates for widows, residence, caste, senior citizen, language-based minority, a religious minority, nomad-denotified, and income certificates at their doorstep.
Indian Coast Guard launches L&T built Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Vigraha’
- The Indian Coast Guard launched the Offshore Patrol vessel ‘Vigraha’ at a private shipyard in Kattupalli, north of Chennai on 6th October 2020.
- ICGS ‘Vigraha’ is the seventh and last in the series of seven vessels that was designed and built exclusively for the Coast Guard by Larsen and Toubro (L&T) Shipbuilding as a part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Vigraha is likely to be inducted into the Indian Coast Guard in March 2021, after completion of extensive trials and testing of the on-board equipment and machinery and once inducted, the vessel would serve the East Region, from Visakhapatnam.
- The other ships of this vessel are ICGS ”Vikram”, ICGS ”Vijaya”, ICGS ”Veera”, ICGS ”Varaha”, ICGS ”Varad”, ICGS ”Vajra”
Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna wins Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020 jointly to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna “for the development of a method for genome editing.”
- Emmanuelle Charpentier is a Director of the Max Planck Unit for the Science of Pathogens, Berlin, Germany.
- Jennifer A. Doudna is a Professor at the University of California, Berkeley, USA and Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Government appoints M Rajeshwar Rao as new deputy governor of RBI
- The Centre has appointed M Rajeshwar Rao as the new deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India on 7th October 2020.
- Prior to this, M Rajeshwar Rao was an executive director at RBI.
- He succeeds NS Vishwanathan as the central bank’s fourth deputy governor.
- NS Vishwanathan resigned from the post in March 2020 before the completion of his term in June, citing health reasons.
- The Central Bank has four Deputy Governors. Other three deputy Governors of RBI are: M. D. Patra, B.P. Kanungo and M. K. Jain.
Dinesh Kumar Khara appointed as Chairman of State Bank of India
- The Government has appointed senior banker Dinesh Kumar Khara as the new Chairman of the State Bank Of India (SBI).
- Dinesh Kumar Khara has been appointed for a period of three years with effect from 7 October 2020.
- He replaces Rajnish Kumar, whose three-year term ended on 6th October 2020.
- Prior tot his Mr, Khara was serving as the managing director of SBI.
Senior IPS officer MA Ganapathy appointed DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
- The Government of India has appointed the senior IPS officer M A Ganapathy as the Director-General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Ganapathy, a 1986 batch IPS officer of Uttarakhand cadre has been appointed until his superannuation on February 29, 2024.
- The post of BCAS chief was lying vacant after Rakesh Asthana was appointed as the Director-General of Border Security Force in August 2020.
TNPL Spinner Prasanth Rajesh Passes Away at 35
- Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL) spinner Prasanth Rajesh (MP Rajesh) has passed away due to a heart attack. He was 35.
- MP Rajesh was a leg-spinner.
- He made his debut in TNPL in 2018
- Delhi Capitals spinner Ravichandran Ashwin, expressed disbelief on the death of his close friend with whom he had shared the stage during his time at TNPL
Ganga River Dolphin Day: 5 October
- Every Year India celebrates the ‘Ganga River Dolphin Day’ on October 5, as it was on this day that Ganga Dolphins were declared national aquatic animals in 2010.
- On the occasion, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), the Wildlife Institute of India and the Forest Department has launched the ‘My Ganga My Dolphin’ campaign, to conduct Dolphin census in 250 km stretch from Bijnor to Narora.
- A Dolphin-based ecotourism programme, including Dolphin safari has also been launched in six sites across the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal.
- Under this programme, the ‘Ganga Praharis’, the trained volunteers from the local community working for cleanliness of Ganga, will take the tourists at these sites on boat rides to view Dolphin and another biodiversity present in the Ganga River.
- The six sites include Bijnor, Brijghat, Prayagraj and Varanasi in UP; Kahalgaon in Bihar and Bandel in West Bengal.
Air Force Day 2020: 08 October
- Air Force Day is observed every year on 8 October.
- The Air Force Day 2020 celebrates the 88th anniversary of the official foundation day of the force on October 8.
- Indian Air Force was officially established on 8 October 1932 by the British Empire as the Royal Indian Air Force. The name was changed to Indian Air Force in 1950.