Top Current Affairs 07 December 2020
Top Current Affairs 07 December 2020: This post contains the latest current affairs for 07 December 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana Participates in 7th WASH Conclave Concludes
- The 7th WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Conclave was organised in virtual mode from 2 to 4 December 2020 by organised by the UNICEF and the National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR).
- The theme of the conclave was “Hygiene Matters”.
- Andhra Pradesh Governor Biswa Bhusan Harichandan was the Chief Guest at the event.
- The event had participants from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana to discuss key issues with particular focus on hygiene and create an opportunity for strengthening collaborations and partnerships among institutions including government dealing with WASH and related programs across three states and districts
- The Government of India has set the target to provide access to and use of safe and adequate drinking water to all households within premises by 2024.
Space-tech start-up ‘Pixxel’ to launch remote-sensing satellite on ISRO rocket in early 2021
- The Bengaluru-based space-technology start-up Pixxel, has signed a pact with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to launch its first remote-sensing satellite on Isro’s workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) rocket in early 2021.
- Earlier, the startup had planned to launch this satellite towards the end of 2020 and on a Russian Soyuz rocket.
- The agreement was signed between Pixxel with NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), a Government of India company under the Department of Space.
- This agreement with NSIL is first-of-a-kind private earth-observation mission and one of the first since the setting up of IN-SPACe, the authorisation and regulatory body under the Department of Space (DoS) to enable private players undertaking space activities in India.
- Pixxel aims to put a constellation of 30 earth observation micro-satellites into a sun-synchronous orbit by mid-2023.
- The data through these satellites will help in various sectors, ranging from agriculture to urban monitoring, such as track on air and water pollution levels, forest biodiversity and health, coastal and marine health, and changes in the urban landscape.
Bangladesh signs maiden Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) since its independence with Bhutan
- Bangladesh has signed its first Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) with Bhutan, which will allow duty free access to a range of goods between the two countries and hence boost bilateral trade between them.
- This is the first PTA signed by Bangladesh with any country in the world since its independence in 1971.
- The PTA was signed on 6th December 2020, to mark 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Bangladesh and Bhutan.
- In 1971, Bhutan was the first country in the world to recognise Bangladesh as an independent country.
- Under the PTA, 100 Bangladeshi products will get duty free access to Bhutan, while 34 items from Bhutan will get duty free access into Bangladesh. Further items can be added in the list later on the basis of discussion between the two countries.
ADB Approves $190 Million Loan to Upgrade Power Distribution System in Bengaluru
- The Manila-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a loan of $190 million (approx Rs 1,400 crore) to modernize and upgrade the power distribution system in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The financial-assistance by ADB will be used for the Bengaluru Smart Energy Efficient Power Distribution Project.
- The $190 million loan includes a $100 million sovereign loan and a $90 million non-sovereign guarantee loan to Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited (BESCOM).
- BESCOM is one of five state-owned distribution utilities and the largest in Karnataka.
- This combination of sovereign and non-sovereign loans is being deployed by ADB in India on a pilot basis for the first time.
Armed Forces Flag Day: 7 December
- In India, the Armed Forces Flag Day (also known as the Flag Day of India) is observed annually on December 7 since 1949 as an honour to the soldiers, sailors and airmen of India who fought on the borders to keep the country safe.
- The three branches of the Armed Forces of India , namely, the Indian Army, the Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy are remembered on this day.
- The ‘Armed forces Flag Day Fund’ (AFFDF) has been constituted by the Government of India for the welfare and rehabilitation of the Ex-Servicemen (ESM) community.
International Civil Aviation Day: 07 December
- The International Civil Aviation Day is celebrated every year on December 7 to recognize the importance of aviation to the social and economic development of the world.
- The Day was established in 1994 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the establishment of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) [Headquarter-Montreal, Canada].
- The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the day in 1996.
- The ICAO Council has selected the special collective 5 year theme for 2019-2023: “Advancing Innovation for Global Aviation Development”.
Veteran Bengali actor Manu Mukherjee passes away at 90
- Veteran Bengali actor Manu Mukherjee has passed away after a cardiac arrest. He was 90-year-old.
- Manu Mukherjee started his film career with Mrinal Sen’s Nil Akasher Niche (1958).
- The actor is best remembered for his roles in Satyajit Ray’s Joy Baba Felunath and Ganashatru.
- He had also been part of children’s fantasy film Patalghar’.
Veteran Marathi actor Ravi Patwardhan passes away at 84
- Ravi Patwardhan, a popular face in Marathi entertainment industry, has passed away after suffering from a massive heart attack. He was 84.
- The veteran actor became a household name for his role in Marathi TV series Agabai Sasubai.
- Apart from this, Patwardhan has also starred in a few Hindi movies namely Tezab, Jhanjaar, Bond and Yeshwant.