Top Current Affairs 03 March 2021: This post contains the latest current affairs for 03 March 2021 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates Maritime India Summit 2021
- The Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the second ‘Maritime India Summit 2021’ through video conferencing on March 02, 2021. The Summit will conclude on March 04, 2021.
- As a part of the event, the Sagar-Manthan: Mercantile Marine Domain Awareness Centre and e-book of maritime vision 2030 was also launched.
- Ministers from eight nations, over 50 global CEOs and more than 160 speakers which include 115 international speakers from 24 nations are participating in the three-day Summit
Key Points to Remember:
- Sagar-Manthan: Mercantile Marine Domain Awareness Centre is an information system for enhancing maritime safety, search and rescue capabilities, security and marine environment protection.
- The e-book of maritime vision 2030 aims to make the Indian maritime industry at par with the top global benchmark in the next 10 years.
- The Government of India aims to operationalise 23 waterways by 2030.
- The Sagarmala Programme was announced by the Government in 2016 for promoting port led development and enhance the performance of the country’s logistics sector.
Thaawarchand Gehlot launches “Sugamya Bharat App” and Handbook “Access – the Photo Digest”
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the “Sugamya Bharat App” on March 02, 2021, through video conference in New Delhi.
- The minister also launched a handbook entitled “Access – The Photo Digest”
- The App and the handbook have been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Sugamya Bharat APP
- It is a Crowd sourcing Mobile Application to enable people with disabilities and even the elderly to register accessibility-related problems
- The aim of the app is sensitising and enhancing accessibility in the 3 pillars of the Accessible India Campaign which includes built environment, transportation sector and ICT ecosystem in India.
- “Access – The Photo Digest”
- This handbook is a collection of photographs from across different States and UTs, to act as a tool and guide for stakeholders, to sensitise them about 10 basic features of accessibility and related good-bad practices in easy to understand pictorial form.
India to Send Humanitarian Assistance To Drought-Hit Madagascar on-board Indian Naval Ship Jalashwa
- The Government of India is sending food and medical assistance to Madagascar, following the request from the east African country for assistance to deal with a humanitarian crisis caused by a severe drought.
- The humanitarian assistance is being delivered on-board Indian Naval Ship Jalashwa.
- The Naval ship will leave with the food and medical assistance on March 3, 2021 and is expected to reach the Port of Ehoala in Madagascar between March 21 and 24, 2021.
- The consignment will comprise of 1,000 metric tonnes of rice and 100,000 hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) tablets.
Lok Sabha TV and Rajya Sabha TV merged into one single entity called Sansad TV
- The Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha Television channels that broadcast the proceedings of the upper and lower Houses of Parliament, respectively, have been merged into a single entity.
- The new channel has been named as the ‘Sansad Television’ .
- This change is effective from March 01, 2021.
- Ravi Capoor, a retired IAS officer of the 1986 batch, has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Sansad TV for one year.
- The decision to change the name was jointly taken by Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
Indian Air Force to Participate in EX Desert FLAG VI
- For the first time ever, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is participating in Exercise Desert Flag-VI, which has been organised from March 03 to 27, 2021 at Al-Dhafra airbase, UAE.
- Ex Desert Flag is an annual multi-national large force employment warfare exercise hosted by the United Arab Emirates Air Force.
- The exercise will also see the air forces of United Arab Emirates, United States of America, France, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Bahrain.
- The IAF is participating with six Su-30 MKI, two C-17 and one IL-78 tanker aircraft.
- Purpose: provides operational exposure to the participating forces, train them to undertake simulated air combat operations in a controlled environment, provides an opportunity to enhance their operational capabilities along with mutual exchange of best practices.
IAF Participates in 70th Anniversary Celebrations of Sri Lanka Air Force
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has reached Colombo, to participate in the 70th-anniversary celebrations of the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF).
- The IAF aerobatic display teams, namely Suryakiran Aerobatic Team (SKAT) (fixed wing) and Sarang (rotary wing), along with Light Combat Aircraft Tejas will participate in the air show.
- The three-day Air Show is scheduled to be held from 03–05 March 2021.
- Prior to this, the IAF Suryakiran Aerobatic Team (SKAT) participated in the 50th anniversary celebrations of SLAF.
Indian Boxer Deepak Kumar wins silver at Strandja Memorial Tournament in Bulgaria
- In Boxing, the Asian Championship silver medallist, Deepak Kumar won the silver medal at the 72nd Strandja Memorial Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria, held on February 27, 2021
- Deepak lost in the final against Daniel Asenov of Bulgaria in the men’s 52 kg flyweight.
- The 23-year-old youngster belongs to Haryana’s Hisar, which is known as the ‘City of Steel’, for being India’s largest manufacturer of galvanised iron.
Indian men’s skeet team wins bronze in ISSF World Cup Shotgun in Cairo
- In shooting, the Indian trio of Mairaj Ahmed Khan, Angad Vir Singh Bajwa and Gurjoat Khangura won the bronze medal in men’s skeet team event at the International Shooting Sport Federation tournament (ISSF) Shotgun World Cup in Cairo, Egypt.
- The Indians defeated the Kazakhstan team of David Pochivalov, Eduard Yechshenko and Alexandr Mukhamediyev 6-2 in the bronze medal match.
Second ODI National Zone Cricket Championship League for Deaf begins in New Delhi
- The Indian Deaf Cricket Association (IDCA) has organised the second ODI National Zone Cricket Championship League for the deaf from March 1 to 5, 2021, at MCG 2 & 3, Ghevra Cricket Ground, Kanjhwala, in New Delhi.
- The 50-over tournament is significant for the players as it will act as the basis for selection of players for the Deaf ICC World Cup 2022.
- The ‘Champion Winner’ team will get a cash reward of Rs. 1,00,001 while the ‘Runner-up’ team will be given a cash prize of Rs. 50,001.
- The Indian Deaf Cricket Association (IDCA) is affiliated & recognized by the Deaf International Cricket Council (DICC).
- President IDCA – Sumit Jain
BJP Lok Sabha MP Nandkumar Singh Chauhan from Madhya Pradesh, Passes Away at 69
- Nand Kumar Singh Chauhan, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP from Khandwa in Madhya Pradesh, has passed away, while undergoing treatment after testing positive for COVID-19.
- He was 69.
- Nand Kumar Singh Chauhan was a six-term MP, who was elected as the Lok Sabha MP for the first time in 1996 and got re-elected in 1998, 1999, 2004, 2014 and 2019.
World Wildlife Day: 03 March
- The World Wildlife Day is observed every year on March 3 to celebrate and raise awareness about the world’s wild fauna and flora.
- Theme 2021: “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”.
- The day was proposed by Thailand and recognised in 2013 by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- March 3 has been chosen as it is the day of signature of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) in 1973.
World Hearing Day : 3 March
- World Hearing Day is held on 3 March each year by World Health Organisation (WHO) to raise awareness on how to prevent deafness and hearing loss and promote ear and hearing care across the world.
- Theme of World Hearing Day 2021: Hearing care for ALL!: Screen. Rehabilitate. Communicate.